Use the same tools in a team
We all love our tools. And many of us think that we use the best tools and that our tools are more effective and better than the tools our co-workers are using. But, when you work in a team, the team is often way more effective if there is some consistency across the team:
- Exactly the same tool chain
- E.g., exactly the same version of the same IDE, etc.
- Exactly the same code conventions and code style
- Exactly the same process of contributing code
- E.g., clean up the code using the team's coding conventions and styling before checking code in.
After a while, collaboration of team members will automatically improve.
By Kai Tödter
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3
Back to 97 Things Every Programmer Should Know home page